Leadership in Newcastle is about creating a culture and environment for people and teams to liberate their potential, to be their best selves and to be happy, healthy, and productive, enabling us to achieve our vision. We consider leadership a lifelong journey of experiences, learning and personal development.
Within our Flourish Framework, we aim to develop and support our leaders and teams to have:
- A discovery mindset (not a defensive mindset)
- Tools to develop and maintain the best versions of themselves at work (and in life)
- Healthy minds and bodies
- Create psychological safety
- A focus on improvement, innovation and creativity
They will be supported by a clear leadership approach, leadership behaviours and capability.
Newcastle Leadership Way
Good leadership means creating a workplace where everyone can Flourish. We have therefore built a clear leadership approach to guide our leaders on expected behaviours.
Following engagement with staff, as part of the What Matters to You Programme, the following leadership behaviours have been developed. These behaviours have been categorised under the three key areas that mattered most to staff:
Autonomy and Control:
- Continuously Learning
- Curious and Innovative
- Inclusive and Appreciative
Physical and Psychological Safety:
- Respectful and Understanding
- A Role Model
- Compassionate and Kind
- Courageous and Self Aware
Leadership and Talent Management Strategy
The Leadership Development and Talent Management Strategy can be accessed here. It’s aims are to:
- Identify, nurture, and support the leadership and management capabilities and behaviours needed to embed a culture of relentlessly improving, compassionate, patient-centred care throughout the Trust.
- To further develop leadership capability and capacity, through a variety of development opportunities. These are available for all levels of leadership within the Trust, from managers and senior strategic leaders to emerging, new or aspiring leaders.
This strategy has been refreshed post pandemic to review progress and acknowledge learning. This will be shared in due course.
Leadership Management and Coaching Development
We provide development opportunities for all staff with an emphasis upon compassionate, inclusive leadership as one of our core values.
- Workplace Coaching
- Leadership Congress
- Bite sized sessions
- CPD Leadership and Management Modules
- Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) Accredited Programmes
- Learning to Lead Together
- Leadership and Management Apprenticeship Programmes
- Online Leadership Modules for Senior and Strategic Healthcare Leaders
- Bespoke Training
- Enhanced Induction for New Managers
- NHS National Leadership Academy – Leadership Programmes
- NHS Leadership Model 360 Degree Feedback
- NHS North East & Yorkshire Leadership Academy (NEYLA) CPD Events
- NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme (GMTS)
For an informal discussion regarding any of the courses within this Prospectus, for course bookings, or for course dates, please contact the Leadership inbox via [email protected]