Go to the Greener NHS Training hub to access a variety of training and educational offers. The aim is to ensure there is training available for all, whatever your role and wherever you are on your sustainability journey.
Introductory Level – Building a Net Zero NHS
Building a Net Zero NHS is a module in the ‘Environmentally Sustainable Healthcare’ programme on the eLearning for Healthcare (elfh) platform and is also available via your Trust’s ESR.
Who is it for? Greener NHS recommends this module for all 1.4 million NHS staff.
How long will it take me to complete? Approximately 30 minutes with lots of signposting to additional resources.
Description: The module is designed to raise awareness of the climate and ecological emergency, why it matters for health, and how healthcare contributes to it. Learners are introduced to the “Net Zero NHS” plan and case studies which demonstrate how clinical practices can reduce carbon, costs and waste, whilst improving care quality. All NHS healthcare workers will find it useful in their work
What does it cost? This module is free.
Intermediate level – Carbon Literacy for Healthcare – The Carbon Literacy Project
How will I access this training? Follow this link Carbon Literacy for Healthcare eLearning Pathway, where you can access the elearning and also find instructions for completing the workshop element of the training. Greener NHS has also funded a limited number places for the follow-up workshop, and learners can sign up here.
Who is it for? This training is suitable for anyone who would like expand their knowledge having completed the ‘Building a Net Zero NHS’ module and who wants to focus on driving impactful action to reduce emissions.
How long will it take me to complete? Around a day (7.5 – 8 hours) (approximately 2hrs 30minutes of e-learning and a 4-hour workshop).
Description: The elearning component will cover the science of climate change, the impacts of climate change, both globally and locally and on the environment and health, government and NHS policy, how to communicate climate change to others and how healthcare must adapt to the effects of climate change.
The workshop will cover key climate mitigation actions and case studies, applying climate mitigation in your local area, peer learning, networking, spheres of influence and developing actions plans.
What does it cost? It is free to access the e-learning. To understand how to effectively reduce emissions and take action we strongly recommend you complete the follow-on workshop which will be delivered by the Shine Team for Newcastle Hospitals employees. The accreditation with the Carbon Literacy Project costs £10 per person.
Shine – Sustainability Ambassadors
Covering a wide range of environmental, sustainability and governance principles, this 5 day course will give learners an understanding of the breadth of the sustainability agenda, and the management tools and skills that they will need to make changes in their area of work.
Sustainability Ambassadors will be leading advocates for sustainability at Newcastle Hospitals, will come from a wide range of roles, functions and levels across the Trust, and will be passionate about being part of the delivery of Sustainable Healthcare in Newcastle (Shine).
Following the course you will become an agent for change within our organisation, you will automatically join the group of Green Champions Plus. Please email [email protected] to register your interest.Course Information Sustainability Ambassador Project
Title and Provider: Sustainability Leadership for Greener Health and Care
How can I access this training? Sustainability Leadership for Greener Health and Care
Who is it for? Track 1 is for new and aspiring leaders who will work across organisational boundaries and who want to be a part of taking the health and care system towards net-zero.
Track 2 is for leaders who aspire to or are new to influencing the net-zero agenda at board level and leading the system to a more sustainable future.
No prior experience or knowledge in sustainability is required.
This programme is designed to develop your leadership abilities, giving you the tools and knowledge to build a greener, more sustainable health system. It will help you foster confidence in yourself and your capacity to lead the health system towards net-zero.
Description: This programme offers two tracks, both over 16 weeks:
- Track 1: an online only programme
- Track 2: combines the online programme with face-to-face workshops designed to help participants apply their learning and deepen their practice
Both tracks cover the following courses:
- Strand 1 – A sustainability worldview: Understanding the environment
- Strand 2 – Developing self-leadership for sustainability: Designing your development
- Strand 3 – Engaging with systems and complexity: Understanding complexity and developing systems working
- Strand 4 – Developing collective impact: Creating a shared vision and making a difference
You can access the programme either online only at your own pace or as a combination of online learning plus face-to-face experiential workshops over 16 weeks. Click here for more information about the structure of the course.
How much does it cost? -The programme is free for public sector health and care staff, for more eligibility information click here.
Go to the Greener NHS Training hub to access:
- Environmental Sustainability in QI
- All Our Health training – The All Our Health framework is a call to action to all health and care professionals to embed prevention within their day to day practice. Bite-sized sessions on air pollution and climate change
- Administration of drugs using inhalers – the environmental benefits of optimising respiratory care and inhaler use
- Environmental sustainability in dentistry
- Net Zero and Social Value (Procurement)
- Sustainable Respiratory Care
- Sustainable Anaesthetics
- Sustainable Kidney Care
- Green Space and Health
- School for Change Agents – Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)
- Non Sterile Disposable Glove use Fundamentals (MOOC)
- Future Learns Climate Curriculum (MOOC)
- EdX Health Effects of Climate Change
Royal College of Nursing – Leading Sustainability in Health and Social Care
This blended learning programme is open to anyone regardless of RCN membership status.
The programme has been developed to support anyone in the role of clinical leader in every care setting. It may be of specific interest to:
- specialist procurement nurses
- care home/ward/department managers
- nurses supporting sustainability in their role
- sustainability link champions/nurses
- GP practice nurses, community and public health nurses
- nurses working in acute NHS care-elective or emergency care
Green Healthcare Leadership Programme
The Florence Nightingale Foundation, along with Nuffield Health and NHS England, is pleased to offer a fully funded bespoke leadership development programme for registered nurses and midwives (NHS Band 5 – 7 or equivalent) working in the independent healthcare sector or in the NHS in England.
Cohort 1 – from 17th October 2023
Cohort 2 – from 21 November 2023