The aim of Library Services is to put evidence at the heart of decision making. The team supports staff in providing patient care, research, education, service development, innovation and transformation.
While our libraries can carry out the traditional library role of providing books, journals and newspapers, they do much more than this. Staff can undertake literature searches on request to support research, practice or service delivery.
In each of the libraries, you will find qualified library staff who are there to offer you a friendly and effective service. Contact library staff for help, advice and training in keeping up to date and creating current awareness alerts using the following resources:
- Auto alerts
Who can use library services?
- Trust staff and other NHS staff from hospitals in the region
- Students on placement
How Do I Join?
Complete a registration form from the library. Please have your ID badge, or student smartcard card with you.
The stock consists of 7,000+ books. Users can borrow up to 10 books at once. The library catalogue of local NHS libraries is available at the North East Health Libraries website.
Electronic resources eJournals, eBooks and databases are available via library web pages on the Trust intranet site.
The library can obtain most items not held in stock. A small charge may apply for articles and books not held in local NHS libraries.
- PCs are available and accessible on a first come first serve basis at the RVI Library
- Staff Internet Suite in the Freeman restaurant.
- A Trust Network username and password is required to log on.
- Printing, photocopying and scanning facilities are available at the RVI Library.
- Photocopying facilities at the Freeman Library.
- Charges apply for printing and photocopying
There is a staff library at both the RVI and Freeman Hospital open Monday to Friday 09:00 to 17:00.